Followers

Sunday, January 13, 2008

*VERY IMPORTANT * Ü



***VERY IMPORTANT ***

For all future challenges.......

All photos MUST be original photography taken by the participant/Journal owner.  It cannot be a photo of them unless it is a
self portrait. 

Some comments about the voting for this challenge...

As I visited every entry I knew this was going to be a difficult decision on what was my favorite image for this challenge.  I did take many things into consideration, but never looked at who the person behind the camera was, whether or not I knew them.  I just viewed the photos.   After going through all
27 entries and viewing them over & over & over as some were being voted on, I have finally narrowed down my choices for my favorites to 4--which was difficult!   So, I realize that this is a difficult decision for all Jlanders who are voting for only 1!  [NOTE: I am counting the votes--I am not voting.]

I am questioning a hand full of votes (hanging chads, you know) but on the whole it seems like most people that are really voting for their favorite image...and some even go into detail regarding the reasons for their vote.  Those people, I know, really gave a lot of consideration to their final decision & viewed all images. 
 
I have visited every journal that entered and was hoping everyone would do the same--and leave a comment to show their support and to give encouragement. Unfortunately that did not happen.

The newer journals were only getting about 10-17 comments while the more popular journals (of course) got more. We had 27 entries, not including mine (which was not included in the voting).  I had hoped that at least 27 comments would be left on all journals that entered.   I even checked out who was leaving comments and who was not.  I looked into a couple of voters who never even left a comment on the photo after voting for it.  With that said, I think a new voting
procedure will be tested for the next challenge.

The next challenge will have a different voting method...Thank you to all that made some wonderful suggestions on how we can do this.

I decided to make this a combination--using ideas that were posted and what we had originally wanted. 

There will be 2 categories
1. Amateur
2. Advanced amateur/professional

Each participant will select what category they feel they should compete in, based on their level of expertise and experience. Anyone who has won competitions, sold their work, etc. should enter in Category 2. Beginners should, of course, enter in Category 1.

Both categories will have the same subject for the challenge.

There will be a total of 3 winners:
        2 winners in the Amateur category
        1 winner in the Advanced category

The 1st category--Amateurs--will be judged by the last 3 winners (in both categories) of the previous challenge. 

In the 2nd category--Advanced--a small select group of judges will vote on the winner. This is the procedure used for juried art/photography shows and PSA and camera club competitions.

All winners will get a small award to add to their journal.  They will then have the opportunity to help suggest the next challenge as well as judging the next challenge. We ask them to email their suggestions to us--we will create a poll so that everyone can vote; and then announce what the next challenge will be.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marie, I think we've come up with a great way to keep things fair...love all the changes. I'm really enjoying this and am so glad to be a part of it.
Vicki

Anonymous said...

I agree with Vicki's comment!
Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with and respect your thoughts and decisions based on what you've observed so far...  Keeping things unbaised and fair is a challenge, but I hope you find the challenge worth the tireless effort your putting in.  THANK YOU, for all that you are doing.  

While it took some time, I found it quite enjoyable to view all the entries and I too, narrowed it down to about four before making my final decision.  It was a fun and interesting process, and I'm looking forward to the next challenge.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate all the thought that you've put into this.I think I may not have left remarks to all but I did visit them all.I knew then that I should have left remarks.I know I appreciated the remarks I received.
The idea of two catagories is excellent.
I only have a little Kodak point and shoot and some people have Canons and Minoltas worth thousands that do a much better job.
connie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/specialadyfink/Anyway...../

Anonymous said...

excellent points and wonderful job, marie!!!  thanks for including me in this new venture.  :)
gina

Anonymous said...

sounds like some great changes and ideas... looking forward to the next challenge..  Tho I don't always take part.. I will try and hopefully others will too.
hugs and great job
d

Anonymous said...

 Wonderful.  I like the new rules and feel better then even trying to compete agains't professional photographers.  Gee, I know my limits, LOL.  I did try to visit everyone.  I hope I didn't miss any but will do another walk though and I really like the way you had them so we could just click on their link.  Great job and some great photography.


                           Julie

Anonymous said...

It is nice when everyone stops a moment to leave a comment. :-)

I also support the splitting of levels - while I don't consider myself a professional, I have advantages of better equipment, and experience.  With no formal training is why I hesitate to say professional, I rather fell into what I do. :-)  I'm still learning and have so much to learn.  That is why I like the challenges, it gives me a chance to step away from weddings to what I really love and haven't been able to do,

I didn't vote, I had more than one favorite and I really didn't want mine up for voting because I didn't think it would be fair due to my "experience"

Monica

Anonymous said...

i think that is a fair voting procedure. -Missy