Followers

Monday, January 21, 2008

Beginner or Advanced? How to decide...

There seems to be some confusion as to what constitutes Beginner and Advanced in skill levels, since 99.9% of us are really amateurs. I hope I can clear things up with the following:
 
--Beginners are folks who snap a photo for whatever reason they have--creating "snapshots." They don't have the training for advanced photography. It's where we all started out. Most don't stay at that level...so keep learning!
 
--Advanced photographers have been shooting long enough (how long is enough? that's very subjective!) to have acquired some skill in composition, lighting, etc. They don't all have to be using SLR cameras, but if you're skilled at using one, you're definitely advanced. Folks who belong to camera clubs, who have taken any classes, or tutorials, on photography, who have skills in Photoshop...these are advanced.
 
Look back over your photos...if you've improved greatly since you started, you should seriously think about entering at the Advanced level. Marie and I will try to gently nudge those of you who we think belong there. The final decision is yours, though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm right where I need to be...  No questions there!  Thanks for the clarification, though.  

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation.  I am like a doctor ( still "practicing" ).  Hopefully, we can teach the newcomers a few tricks.  I'll share all I know with anyone interested.  But don't bug me with all the technical stuff and numbers.
Clyde

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clarifying.
I'm SO amateur.  Not a lesson, and no clue about lighting, etc.    Never touched an SLR.  
Boy do I want lessons though on how to improve!   I seem to have the eye...now I just need the skill!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I am really a beginner! Lol.-Missy

Anonymous said...

^5 Nice explanation Vicki!!!!
Betty