Followers

Thursday, January 10, 2008

On Voting.....looking for your thoughts~


I posted this on the wrong blog....Geeeeez, I am getting as bad as Jimmy. 
; (



On voting........

We are looking into a few options with the voting part of this Challenge BLOG & would like feedback on this.  If you could email me on your thoughts, or leave comments here.
these are some options that we are considering....

1. Voting be open only to those who submit an entry.

2. Voting open to anyone.(this is what we are doing this week)

3.  Have a few judges, who have a background in photography & must have a photosite so we all can view their photos.  (this way, people can understand that the submissions ARE being judge fairly.)  Then, THEY select the best 3 & have the AOL community vote  thru AOL polls .

4. Just have a small panal of photographer judges vote & then post one winner.

Keep in mind, that this IS NOT a popularity contest. 
I have seen in the past, Unofficial AOL  award nominations handed out  to people who clearly were not photographers, just had a journal with family pictures on it.  This is not a challenge where you email your friends  & tell them to vote for you.

It is no big deal.  The winner justs gets their photo(with permission) posted on here at the end of the challenge.  No prize, no money handed out.....just a small recognition.

It's also a good idea to visit all entries & leave a comment & your own link to your journal.  The idea is to get exposure, learn more about photography..... get out & shoot.

And.....If you do not like the idea of voting, you can still submit & not vote. OR try other challenges that do not have voting.

I've been a Round Robin participant for the past 2 years & we also have challenges twice a month.
This is a well organized challenge & they are always looking for new photographers to join in.

Krissy has a JLAND challenge & Karen also started a Monday Photo shoot, which may be an every week challenge.  I don't know too much about these challenges but I think it's a spin off of John Scalz's Photo challenge, like ours.


The reason why I added the voting was, b/c someone suggested it...Ü & my photo was selected a few times for the MAIN BLOG page site, by John Scalzi.  Every week someone's photo was on there & I thought it was kind of nice getting that exposure on my photography.  I am not trying to make this a competition, I want it to be a friendly venture.

Ü

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

my thoughts...  pick a panel of judges and let them decide... not even sure they have to photographers.. or that they need to be 'exposed'... we know how JLand can be.  This way it's not a popularity contest and everyone is assured that each entry is looked at without bias.  
Just my thoughts...
d

Anonymous said...

I'm not a photographer at all. I play to participate and do my best (be part of the community). As far as the voting, I think in order for it not to become a popularity contest, voting will have to be regulated. It shouldn't be open to everyone. I think maybe making it only open to those who submit entries or to designated judges is a great idea. -Missy

Anonymous said...

I second Donna's thoughts...  I would hate to see this turn into what we've seen with voting awards such as the Vivi's.  It would be such a shame, to have hurt feelings over something that is supposed to be fun.  I do like the idea of a panel of judges.  Whatever is decided, I will continue to contribute for the fun of it and in the interest of seeing other people's entries as well, with or without a winner.  

Thanks so much for doing this!  I've already made new friends/contacts and it's just great to see all the wonderful, thought-out entries!

Michelle
http://journals.aol.com/inafrnz247/Reflections/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting everybody know about my photo shoot Marie!  It is however not a spinoff of Scalzi's.  It predates Scalzi's by five months.  Mine started in October of 2004.  :)
As far as voting goes, I think voting should perhaps only be open to those who post a submission.  This way it wouldn't become a popularity contest, where bloggers would be asking their relatives to vote.  Everybody could cast one vote for another submissioner.  Stress to everyone, that they may not vote for themselves, otherwise the vote won't be authentic.  Perhaps the voting should be done through emails and not through polls, this would keep the voting fair, as you would know that submissioners were not voting for themselves.
If this is not the best idea, then perhaps you could be correct on having a panel of photography judges.
One thing about voting however, is it could take away from the fun of the whole thing.  There are lots of different levels of photographers that will be entering submissions.  Part of the point is to have fun and to practice your skills.  Merely a thought.

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

 I like the judges with a photography background.


                   Julie

Anonymous said...

I have an idea!  How about if you pick one judge FROM the particpating entries each time.     Hopefully, this will keep it fair and each person may have a different idea of what constitutes "the best" for that challenge.
Just an idea.     It could be a rotating judge....maybe even based on who wins the time before.  They could come up with the next idea and be the judge as well.

What do ya think?

Nance

Anonymous said...

Earlier I had stated to Marie that I didn't care who the judges were,that I was in it for the fun and exposure, which is still true,but.......
After reading Nances comment,I tend to agree ,that maybe the winner  of the present contest could be on the panel of judges and the winner of the next would be a judge for the next one,etc.I think the main judges ought to be the moderators of this challengeThey are the ones who started this group...It is their ball-game-it should be thier call.....and the winner gets to pick a subject for the next shoot......
                          ~connie~
                   http://journals.aol.co.uk/specialadyfink/Anyway...../entries/2008/01/07/challenge-vote/1247

Anonymous said...

I think it should be the head honchos here of the Photo Challenge...I just like to see everyones pictures, so that is a reward in itself!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the comment below. I just like to see the selection of photo's everyone submits. There have been some great ones so far. Helen