Followers

Friday, March 21, 2008

Helpful Tid-bit• Horizon Line



When entering a photo, the horizon(or water) line needs to be straight.  We all make this mistake, I know I do.  There is a tool in Photoshop that can straighten out the horizon line.  Once you correct it, all you have to do is crop it. 
For those who use Photoshop, Go to tool bar, then locate the eyedropper tool(#2) right click & go down to measure tool(#3) it will bring up that tool in the tool window(#1), Then click on horizon or water line & go along the original line(even though it's crooked)  Photoshop tilts the image to make the horizon line straight.  Then just crop.  Try it~
If you have any questions...leave a comment & I will try to address it here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm always one who wants to straighten my photographs (sometimes I forget).  A few weeks ago, I was told by a young wedding photographer that it was cool to have things at an exaggerated angle.  That I must think outside the box.  Maybe I'm still weighing in on that subject!  Landscapes I still like straight!  I'm dizzy enough without having to turn on my side to look at a photo. :-)

Good tips you shared.

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/monicasmemoirs/midnight-conversations/

Anonymous said...

Marie, since I shoot in RAW 99.9% of the time, I do my straightening in the camera raw software...but this technique is a good thing to know. Sometimes I forget, as well, and then have to play with layers to get it done after I'm out of the camera raw dialog.

Monica, the advice given to you by a wedding photographer is something that, in my opinion, has been way overdone in recent months and years. I heard a comment from a lab worker who said he was getting sick of photographers who are being "original" that way...it's been done ad nauseum and is no longer 'cool'. As for exagerated tilting of landscapes and waterscapes...it's really annoying to see an ocean horizon tilted...looks like it's pouring off the end of the earth! (Just my opinion, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.)

Vicki

Anonymous said...

For those who don't have photoshop...you can free rotate the image right or left the appropriate number of degrees to straighten the horizon and then crop.  Sometimes, a single degree makes a big difference.

Anonymous said...

It's like a tilted picture hanging on the wall...  I just can't keep my hands off it!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm going to try this!  Thanks as always...

Nancy