Followers

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Critiques vs. Opinions...

I posted this in my journal (Visions by Vicki) and Marie suggested that I repost it here for all our photographers to see...so, here goes:

I've been a member of the Monmouth Camera Club, in NJ, for 2 years and have been involved in a number of "competitions." I'm still no expert, but have observed that some judges seem to follow what they believe are iron-clad rules of photography (Rule of Thirds, Leading Lines, etc.) in some cases, but don't apply these rules consistently. This angered and confused me a bit because they were being inconsistent and that didn't seem fair. Also, as far as I knew from all that I've read, these "Rules" are actually guidelines and NOT written in stone. I just read an article by one of the premier landscape photographers in the US--Alain Briot, Arts and Facts, The difference between judgments and opinions--and something clicked. It's definitely worth a read, so I suggest you go to his website and check it out. While you're there, browse through all his writings and photographs--he's really amazing! And...let me know what you think. :)

P.S. The original article referred to in this one was written for a different website, which I also highly recommend. The original article is titled Being an Artist.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have subscribed to Luminous-Landscapes and Beautiful-Landscapes for some time now.  Alain and Natalie have put together some good ideas with their combined talents.  I was intimidated be all the numbers and formulas when I was a kid, so I didn't get into photography until I was 12.  I rarely make calculations anymore, I guess they come naturally.  Does that make me a point & shooter?  I'm still learning new things everyday, thanks to all the sharing of my photo buddies and the Internet.
Clyde - VA Dimestore Snapshooter

Anonymous said...

Good point!
I checked out his site briefly and really, really like his photos.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the article - it's pretty much the reasons why I don't like the judging and why I've avoided judging.  Art is very subjective.  For example I like Monet and my mom, while she liked Monet prefered the absract work Salvador Dali - who did nothing for me.  Who's to say my idea of art is better than what my mom saw.  There had to be something about Dali's work that spoke to my mom.  Both Dali and Monet have such different styles and both offer great work.  

I belong to a photography social group and there is a man in the group I admire - his work is amazing.  However, ask him to photograph a person or an emotion and he is, and he admits it ... LOST.  Give me still life where this gentleman excels and I'm LOST.  Give me the people and the emotions and I'm there. :-)  Once again very different and both are art.

Anyway, I can ramble on about this subject and luckily for you I need to go to work. :-)

Monica

Anonymous said...

Great article.  Upon moving to NY, I joined one of these clubs that puts a lot of emphasis on these competitions.  I haven't entered one (despite some pressure) but I have gone to a couple of the judgings.  What I've seen is exactly what is being described.  Three "judges" quickly giving a numerical score to an image.  I've seen photos I've loved score low...and those that I thought were no better than average score high.

There is no place for "score" in art.

I remember telling just that to one of my kids when they came home from school with a disappointing grade on an art assignment.  I don't know where the grade came from as the work met the assignment criteria.  I said I didn't really care what the grade was....that art cannot be graded.  It's ALL a matter of opinion.

Now...to touch on CRITIQUE.  I feel critique is still subjective, but see it as a learning tool.  I'd be much more interested in the local "contests" if the emphasis was on learning and not scoring.  But, I learn nothing from a number.

Anonymous said...

I don't take a photograh to suit anyones standards of' is this done along any guidelines'-I shoot to capture the moment in time and am thrilled to do so.
I learned to  oil paint using  the Bob Ross method, and he said it's your world,put in it what makes you happy.There are no mistakes-just happy accidents.
So if my paintings and photos only please myself then they have served their purpose-to please someone :-)
conne
http://journals.aol.co.uk/specialadyfink/Anyway...../

Anonymous said...

Years ago, I entered my lucky shot of the Natural Bridge in a show as well as a grab-shot of a box of Russel Stover candy.  The 20 x 30 photo of the candy won 1st Place (color) and Best-In-Show.  One of the judges was a Chocoholic.  Go figure.

Clyde, again

http://profiles.aim.com/Pprzzo