Followers

Sunday, February 24, 2008

"Prize-winning Photographs"

In photography we are all beginners....all looking to expand of abilities.
When people want to know how to improve their photography, I suggest viewing other photographer's work & ask yourself why do you like that image....what is so appealing about it.

I have sent some participants their personal scores & comments about their image from the advanced judges.


Here are my suggestions....view each entry & analyze each photo & score them with our 9 point system(suggested by Rob).  You will begin to see what we are looking for in an image & why Betty keeps winning.  Ü

    

Betty has been shooting for the past 3 years(longer, I am sure)....she always asks questions, looks to other photographers for advice, and belongs to critique groups online. 
You need to also look at her photos from the beginning of her journal.  Click Here: Check out "Someday My Garden Will Bloom" and they have...Ü
You will see how her photos have progressively improved over the years.  She has become an outstanding photographer.

A small imperfection in a photo could loose points, in my case, I received Honorable Mention, missed placement b/c my matte was too small.  An 8 X10 photo in a 11X14 frame. 

Again,
Keep in mind when shooting or selecting a photo for the challenge;
1. The theme of this challenge
2. Presentation
3. ***Composition ***
4. Interest
5. Quality



Check out
4 Rules of Composition for Landscape Photography

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each one of the above photos took my breath away when I first saw them on her journal.You may go by points -my mind just knows it's great when I see it.To be fair and being a judge ,I know you must go by the points...but no one can say that the three photos above don't 'take their breath away'
connie

Anonymous said...

Marie thank you for the compliments. I have fun taking pictures and learning....always learning.  

Betty  

Anonymous said...

Very helpful Marie.  I'll keep plodding along ... :)

Anonymous said...

Betty's photos really are fantastic.  She definitely has the "WOW" factor in many, if not all of her shots!  I consider it an honor, learn from her and from all the other very talented photographers among this community.

I have no knowledge whatsoever, of the techincal side of photography.  I am able to use the nine point system simply by what I see, feel and "know" about an image.  Unfortunately, the techincal side of a photograph is basically lost, when someone who considers themselves a beginner (like me) is trying to come up with a fair score.  It IS a bit challenging, to know exactly how to judge an image based on what we know (or don't know) about photography...  But it is a wonderful part of the learning process as well.  

Thank you to everyone involved in the processes that make this work as well as it does.  Sure, there may still be questions, and it's hard to get and keep so many people on the same page all the time, but I feel (at least I hope) that it's worth the effort and hard work you put in.  I am finding I have more motivation to get out and shoot.  I am even blogging differently ~ which in my mind, is a good thing.

Okay, I'm done....  I'm far too chatty lately!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Very good points for sure.  We must always look to improve our skills and to push our own limits.

Greg

Anonymous said...

these are all great points.  and something betty obviously utilizes.  her photography is exceptionally beautiful.
gina